Friday, September 17, 2010

Cable no more

I took a leap of faith last weekend and shut my cable off.  The last time I watched TV was 10 weeks ago (now 11) when I was on the phone with someone and we watched a TV show together (long story!!).  I kept track!  I turned my TV on twice over those 10 weeks but that was so I could stream Netflix and watch movies.   But I can do that from my computer and tend to do so.  I will be saving $52 a month by getting rid of cable. I wasn't using it so why have it?

So, as a "solution" I have put my trust in Apple TV.  The tiny little box will stream from my wireless connection, to my TV. I will be able to rent movies and episodes from iTunes (of course there is a cost).  I can stream Netflix directly through Apple TV.  I pay $9.77 a month for Netflix (another expense that I considered getting rid of and just used RedBox but I figured that it would be cheaper to just stay with Netflix). And the genius part of it is that the box is a one time charge of $99. No monthly cost....just my Internet connection through my cable company.  Which I was able to increase and still achieve the $52 savings a month.  There was an early termination fee for shutting off the cable but that was manageable too.

And I have to hope that Apple delivers on what they say they will provide.  I think it's scheduled for delivery in mid October.  I pre-ordered and it is supposed to launch in 4 - 6 weeks.  Not a lot of info on the technology but Apple has delivered on everything I've dealt with and I like the new approach to watching "TV"

Now a lot of the comments I get back from friends and family is that I will miss weather reports and local news but I never watched it anyway so I'm really not out something.  I do complain about the weather because it's a surprise every time it rains because I don't get the scoop on the weather before I leave the house.  That's one that I'm going to try to change.  Or always carry a big purse with a mini umbrella in it.

I don't read newspapers or even most magazines that I subscribe to.  That will be another cost savings when they expire. I kind of isolate myself from the outside world.  I also do not vote...have not for over 7 years.  I also have no right to complain about the state of the nation because I don't educate myself about these things.  Not that I don't find it important but I'm lazy and just don't want to put forth that much effort to educate myself. 

I am "friends" with NPR on Facebook though!

No comments:

Post a Comment