Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm going to be a momma

I'm sure that title is going to make some people take a double look.  I'm even cringing at it.  I am, in no way shape or form, meant to be a mother.  I know this and I'm actually REALLY OK with that.  But I am going to be a momma to a special little dog.

I tend to want things to happen quickly and in the manner I prefer. Its the control freak in me.  I will spend an obscene amount of time manipulating things to get my way and then will throw the biggest hissy fit a 36 year old can throw if I don't get my way. I will punch you in the throat to get my way.

Until today.  I was pressing pretty hard to get help and supplies and ultimately my way and then everything turned to the way I wanted to go and I've kind of freaked out about it.

I have a new dog.  Well, I will tonight....it's 4:30 in the morning so technically today but this started yesterday. I have been looking at petfinder.com for the last week and narrowed it down to a few specific dogs.  I didn't really look at breeds until I narrowed it down a bit and then I expanded my search a bit for that specific breed.  I found quite a few in the area and started contacting the agencies to talk about what I would need to do to start the adoption process.

Do you know how difficult it is to adopt a dog in Kansas City?  Some of the rescue agencies are so strict that I wouldn't qualify.  I'm like the perfect owner but because I don't have a fenced yard....that was a huge deal breaker for these people.  That and have you ever returned a pet to the pound/humane society. I never have but was surprised that it was question #2.

And going through the pound or humane society was full of large dogs.  Sissy Girl was pretty big and I didn't like that.  Milo was even fairly large at 30 pounds.  This time around I was knowingly going in looking for smaller dogs.  Apparently small dogs are in now and so I was having a hard time finding one.

Until I met Ciara.  She's a Boston Terrier (so think smashed face, 12 pounds, black & white and drooling).  I'm sorry but I'm so in love with this dog and I haven't met her.  Just talking to Casey with the rescue group in Warsaw, MO....she's going to be great.  I actually didn't do my norm and just wing it.  I looked at websites.  I read reviews, pros and cons.  I asked people's opinion.  And I listened.

I thought I was going to have to wait a few weeks to get a chance to see her and hopefully bring her home.  I found out that I could do it this weekend and so it because a scheduling matter with Casey and myself.  So around 4:00 yesterday I knew I was getting Ciara at 5:30pm today.

I started shopping as soon as I got home.  I have a kennel, a toy, puppy pads, harness and leash.  I think I'm going to be "that person" and have clothes for her.  She has such a small amount of hair so she can get hot or cold easily.  I'm ashamed to say I have several sweaters and t-shirts for her.  I know, I have to go back and apologize to all the people I poked fun at in the past.  I am honestly apologetic because I am so looking forward to finding shirts for her.  I actually have a few ideas I want to make for her, I just have to look for a pattern.  Some of these clothes are super cheap looking, I think I can do better.

Now, I'm changing Ciara's name to Willow.  I think I'll be OK with getting her switched. Just takes repetition and she'll eventually get it.  I am not fond of the Ciara name and for some reason Willow sounds good to me.

So I think I'm as "puppy" proof as I can be.  I've bought things I think she'll like but I have also made sure to not buy things until I know she wants/needs them.  I'm trying to not throw things at her so she'll like me.  Its either meant to be or not...God will make it right.

But this boils down to one thing and that is at 5:30 tonight I am going to be looked over (by Casey the woman and Ciara the dog), sniffed, promptly sneezed on and then a decision will be made.  I just hope that I'm the one that leaves with a dog.  My heart is really set on Willow.

Ciara's Petfinder.com picture

No comments:

Post a Comment