Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The results

I should have posted this sooner but results back from Sammie are that both were NOT cancer.  One was a fatty pocket and the second they weren't sure what it was but that neither were cancerous.  That's a huge relief.   The vet thought that it wouldn't be necessary to find out what the 2nd lump was but just keep an eye on it.  I'm willing to do that. 

Milo has not had a seizure, in my presence, for the last week.  And believe me...he has been under constant supervision. Every sneeze or pant will make my head swivel and I lock on him like a Star Trek tractor beam.  He goes through this intensive pat down each night.  Just so I can make sure he's still whole.

Sammie is in 7th heaven....I put a timer on and she gets 10 minutes of brushing, massaging and just general feeling up.  I know they say that dogs can't purr but Sammie does.  When I walk in the door each day, she crows like a rooster.  She will pop off little syllables of welcome...home...missed you...lets go for a walk.  The purring is like an even snore...in...out...in...out. She will actually fall asleep and continue to snore in and out...It is so cool to hear her purring while I'm rubbing all over her.  I am making a conscious effort to touch her on a regular basis.  The only crappy thing is the hair...It's disturbing how much hair comes off her...year round.  I should have put a schedule together for brushing her because I probably would have kept the amount at bay.  She loses the equivalent of a small dog when I brush her.



Doesn't she have pretty fur...great colors




Sammie's 217th "child"
 I have a motto about my dogs and my home.  If it doesn't have hair in or on it, it's not mine. When I refurbish things, I try to tell people that the bits of hair in it are my signature.  I honestly wouldn't know what to do when my house becomes dog and dog hair free.  I think I would like it for a few months but then I would want to have some little fur baby to wrap myself around.  I know it sounds morbid, thinking about the next dog but I think it's healthy to think about it.  Namely because I'm going to lose them.  And probably sooner rather then later.  It's going to hurt like hell to lose Sissy Girl and Milo.  I'm going to mourn them a lot.  But I know I will always want a dog...it just may take me a bit to get one.

I got this from someone and it was just divine intervention to get this.  I could talk about some of these points but I think they speak for themselves.

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........


  1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
  2.  Give me time to understand what you want of me
  3.  Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
  4.  Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
  5.  Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
  6.  Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
  7.  Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
  8.  Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
  9.  Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
  10.  On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
That last one is God's voice to my heart.  I don't know that I can be there for either of them but now I know I have to be there for them.  This isn't for me, it's for them.  I really would like to believe that it's never going to happen but it's amazing how quickly things seem to be happening. 

Sammie can't squat properly anymore.  And that's been happening for a few weeks before the vet.  But now she's starting to lose traction when she tries to jump up on the bed.  I'm taking action and having my Dad put together a spec for stairs that I can put next to the bed and she walk up.  Now, I know for a fact that they will never use these stairs.  If I pay money for them, they will not use.  But Milo is starting to miss the bed too.  I figure I can take some of the discomfort away if I try to do that.

Milo is walking into walls.  He did that a few times off and on but yesterday we were going to go out of the bedroom and I went to open the door and Milo was nose deep in the other side of the door, in the corner.  I had to drag him backwards and then push him through the right side of the door.  He fought me a little bit.  I hope that makes sense.  You would think he would remember where stuff is but maybe these seizures are messing with his brain.  He's kind of gone Air Head....he's resorting back to puppy like behavior sometimes.

I have bought them treats and  absolutely HATE that they have taken up begging so easily but I have to realize that they never got treats and now they are snarfing down a huge amount of bi-products.  The one I'm giving them now is absolutely hideous smelling.  I have to wash my hands afterwards but they seem to love them.  Beggin' Strips seem to be their favorite but God does it stink. The manufacturer must know because it comes in a Ziploc bag.  Saves me from gagging every time I walk in the kitchen. Makes you wonder what the hell they put in it.

And through all this, I haven't once thought about my health issues and I couldn't be happier.  I'll try really hard to not forget it completely but it's nice to have something/someone else to focus on and take away the really easy to get there self pity.  There is a lot of nasty things I could say....in the ceaseless pursuit to say the funniest thing I can to make you laugh.  But suffice to say, I'm just fine, wallowing in my denial.


No comments:

Post a Comment